US braces for hurricane matthew

Karma

Heart Attack
Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
7,430
Location
Outside of time and space
US Braces For Hurricane Matthew, 2 Million Urged to Evacuate as Deadly Storm Batters Bahamas

For all our board family that's in the path of this storm, or those of you who have family & loved ones in the path of this storm, we're thinking of you. We want you & your loved ones to be safe & okay! Please check in w/ us when you can.

@Black Widow @Rampage @Spencer Hastings
--------------------

Hurricane Matthew public advisory- NOAA

Get up to the minute updates & other important information on the storm here
 
My family had a mandatory evacuation because they live outside of Daytona Beach and are 3 miles off the coast. They're headed to Pensacola now, and will be there until Saturday. So atleast I know they're safe. We're just more worried about the state of their house when they go back.

This is the first storm to directly hit the east coast of Florida in 10 years, so it's been scary and stressful as all hell lol. Especially since I live on the other side of the country and can't do anything. *sigh*
 
Yeah our Chief was joking that if we're REALLY lucky, after it loops back around it'll pass over and then suck up a bunch more moisture in the gulf and hit us again from the other side. :p

We aren't going to evacuate, as we're around 60 miles inland, and on the 'softer' side of the eye. Hopefully the eye stays offshore. We expect 50mph winds and quite a bit of rain. We'll probably see our fair share of downed trees. Luckily, neither of our bosses expects us to work. We're already getting some rain and light winds. If we lose power we've got a lot of beer to drink LOL.

Check out https://www.windytv.com/ if you want a truly comprehensive, interactive and honestly beautiful map to play with and watch.

Glad to hear your family got out of dodge, Sam. Daytona's gonna really get it by this time tomorrow.

Good luck to you and yours, Garrick. All we can do now is tie everything down and hope for the best. :shrug:
 
According to NPR this morning, the storm has weakened to a category 3, & has moved slightly off it's predicted path. We're hoping all of our board family that's in/near the path of this storm, & your loved ones, will be safe & okay! check in w/ us when you can.
 
My aunt was supposed to fly back yesterday, but they cancelled her. They thought she would be able to fly on Saturday.
 
My aunt was supposed to fly back yesterday, but they cancelled her. They thought she would be able to fly on Saturday.

I heard on NPR yesterday morning that 100s of flights in & out of the areas in the path of the storm were cxl'ed. I can only imagine what it must be like trying to find lodging, & many ppl probably ended up stranded @ the airport.
 
Oh honey, from what I've read, THOUSANDS have been canceled. I know MANY airports along the east coast of Florida have been closed via Temporary Flight Restrictions. Only the Hurricane Hunters are airborne in this area NOW.

Looks like the worst has passed us here in Central Florida. Jacksonville is really get the storm now. I've got a couple friends up there who are marine biologists. I hope they get through it ok. :) Looks like the Eye has stayed about 20 miles off shore so far, so we got lucky.
 
8 folks from my work were at a conference in Orlando this week - 3 of them drive to Atlanta and got a flight out of there. The others are hunkered down in the hotel.
 
Just a couple of pictures of the beach I used to go to/in my town. A1A is completely destroyed I believe all up the coast from Daytona to St. Augustine.

https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=48bb1f86bdecc2b830e768bf53879c0f&oe=58A75AAA

https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=9d9d0de2489ad4aad307cca28a20f5cf&oe=586176C4

https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=5763fa3f926a5ea7e1757d9bc978a674&oe=5860C6DF

This is St. Augustine....they definitely got it the worst with flooding. It's horrible there....only about 25 minutes from where I lived. I frequented there all the time.

https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=ca648311d3daf3be506b79775b476780&oe=58694DE9

Jacksonville Beach is getting wrecked with flooding now. I saw a video posted on FB earlier...it looks like something out of a movie.

My family is still in Pensacola, so my friend is going to be driving by my mom's house to see if its damaged later tonight if the roads aren't too bad. Here's to hoping it's okay.
 

Honestly. :rolleyes:

Just a couple of pictures of the beach I used to go to/in my town. A1A is completely destroyed I believe all up the coast from Daytona to St. Augustine.

https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=48bb1f86bdecc2b830e768bf53879c0f&oe=58A75AAA

https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=9d9d0de2489ad4aad307cca28a20f5cf&oe=586176C4

https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=5763fa3f926a5ea7e1757d9bc978a674&oe=5860C6DF

This is St. Augustine....they definitely got it the worst with flooding. It's horrible there....only about 25 minutes from where I lived. I frequented there all the time.

https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=ca648311d3daf3be506b79775b476780&oe=58694DE9

Jacksonville Beach is getting wrecked with flooding now. I saw a video posted on FB earlier...it looks like something out of a movie.

My family is still in Pensacola, so my friend is going to be driving by my mom's house to see if its damaged later tonight if the roads aren't too bad. Here's to hoping it's okay.

Oh wow. :(

A friend of mine posted a video of Jacksonville Beach on FB. It could've been the same one, maybe, because I thought the same thing! It was something out of a movie.

Fingers crossed that your parents will still have a house to go back to, Sam.
 
Back
Top